Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Seed Companies

I have a few go-to seed companies that I've mentioned here in the past: Botanical Interests, Territorial, Cooks Garden and Baker Creek, just to name a few. I love getting the catalogs in the mail, they're one of the little signals for me that winter is on the way out and that there are brighter days ahead. Even as a kid, I remember daydreaming about the coming summer, once the Johnny's and Burpee catalogs showed up.

As much as I love perusing the catalogs, I probably only order about a quarter of the seeds I use. With limited exceptions most of these brands are available in my local feed store and unless it's a special variety that isn't stocked locally, I do like to buy local and support my hometown merchants.

This year, I've ordered two new catalogs- High Mowing Seeds and Seed Savers Exchange. Both are excellent sources of heirloom seeds and are going to make excellent additions to my resource library. I can't wait to see them!

What seed catalogs do you like the best? I'd love to compile a list of the top seed sources for future reference. Drop me a note here or over on Facebook and let me know who your go-to seed company is and why!

No comments: