Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday Photos

Another week has flown past... I'm always amazed at how fast things start moving around here, once the warm weather arrives. Here's what it looked like:







The clematis is just starting to bloom. I'm not sure which cultivar it is, as it was here when we moved in and there's no tag. I cut it back hard every 3 years or so, in order to clean out the old dead growth. It comes back with a vengeance- it's probably 7 or 8 feet tall this year, and due for another trim when it's finished flowering.














Does anyone out there know what kind of frog this is? I originally thought it was a spring peeper, but a quick google search leads me to believe that it's not. The frog is about 2 inches long, from nose to tail, and is missing the telltale "x" pattern on its back that the peepers have.


The tent caterpillars have arrived... yuck. I cut three big tents off of one of our apple trees this morning, and I'll be going back out later looking for more when the light is better. You need to catch them early in the morning or in the evening, before they head out in search of food. They were already on the move when I got to them this morning, but thankfully they hadn't gone far. Since I don't use chemicals except as a last resort, cutting off the tents is my go-to method for dealing with these pests. Off to the burn barrel they go- the chickens won't even eat them. 










The irises are starting to open as well. I brought these purple ones with us when we moved from old house, and they are the first to open each year. The yellow ones will open in a few days, followed by the flag irises down at the pond. So pretty!

















Here's Steve doing his chocolate bunny impression. He's adjusted quite well to living in the chicken run; it's been two weeks now and in addition to the shelters I've set up for him in there, he's made a few nests of his own where he likes to hang out.







The chicks are growing exponentially, it seems. They move so much that it's hard to catch a good picture of them, but sometimes they cooperate. I think I get one decent shot of them, out of every 10 that I take.












The snowball bush (Viburnum opulus) is starting to bloom. I love the progression from green to white to pink that the flowers go through. I originally thought this was a hydrangea, because of the flowers, but that's a common error... it's important to remember to look at the leaves when you're trying to ID plants.















The Golden Laced Wyandottes were taking a break on their roost bar, when I was able to snap this photo.







That's about it for now! I'm off to the kitchen to make that Rhubarb Orange Jam from yesterday. What's been happening around your homes this week?

No comments: